Thursday, July 14, 2011

Lemon Yoghurt Cake

I woke up this Thursday morning and suddenly felt like baking again.

In the last few months in a baking frenzy, I had designated Friday as my baking day. But my 'fans' at home couldn't eat the cakes and muffins quick enough (WSS and Joji firmly believe in a single portion diet) which meant I ate those cakes or muffins three times a day, translating into extra pounds to my already more than generous size. I applied the brakes and took a break from baking.

Recently, both my mum-in-law (MIL) and sister-in-law shared another cake recipe with me (given by my 'Ji Kor' - 2nd Aunt). I had to put it to the test yesterday or risk having to explain to my MIL and Ji Kor why I haven't done so, at our next family gathering!

The recipe is REALLY quite simple.

Lemon Yoghurt Cake

Ingredients
7 oz butter
7 oz caster sugar
4 eggs
7 oz plain flour
1.5 tsp baking powder
0.5 tsp baking soda
1 lemon juice n rind
125 g plain yogurt
Icing sugar (enough to sprinkle on top of cake)

Method
1. Cream butter and sugar
2. Add egg one at a time
3. Fold in flour in 2 -3 batches gently
4. Add in lemon and rind
5. Then add yogurt
6. Bake for 30 a 40 minutes at 180 degree Celcius
7. Sprinkle some icing sugar on top of the cake once it has cooled.


It didn't turn out as well as I had expected but it tasted really good; sweet and tangy at the same time. I need to refine the texture, though. Perhaps I didn't cream the butter and sugar long enough?

Anyone can share some tips on this?

No comments: