Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Maggi Mee Goreng, Satu!


My last posting was in August last year.  What a long lapse!  Don't get me wrong.  I haven't been starving myself.  The added kilos and expanded waist line can testify to that!   Yesterday, I received a text message from Pathfinder who told me that he had posted his first food related entry to his blog. His enthusiasm drew me back to this blog, long neglected but not entirely forgotten.   So I dug through my reservoir of photos and to my dismay, I cannot recall enough about most of the foodie pics taken since August last year, to write a decent post.

As I have said  from the onset, I am not a food reviewer.   I just love to eat. So let me revive this blog by sharing with you, my love for a plate of 'Maggi mee goreng' - fried instant noodles - Maggi refers to the brand of the instant noodles, usually used for this dish.  But any other brands of instant noodles can also be used.

I am a great fan of Maggi noodles.  Why, I practically grew up on it.  Yeah, I know much have been written about the dangers of over indulging on instant noodles.  Wax lining one's stomach or overdosing on MSG (monosodium glutamate) are only some of the 'dangers' but I always believe that moderation is the key to enjoying good food and staying healthy at the same time.

Maggi mee goreng is on the menu of every little 'mamak' stall you can find.  It's basically noodles stir fried  with dark soya sauce, vegetables and egg.  Sometimes, tofu, bird's eye chillies or chicken meat are also added and the plate of noodles garnished with half a lime, which one can squeeze onto the noodles to get that tangy zing.  If you want it to be more 'pedas' (spicy), curry powder may be added to fire up the dish!

A plate of maggi mee goreng is enough to fill any hunger pangs or simply to satisfy a midnight snack craving. It's cheap; usually costs between RM3.00 to RM4.00 at the local mamak roadside stall but can go up to RM6.50, if ordered at one of those fancier, cafe style restaurants. It's the overheads, you know.

Most mamak stalls operate 24/7.  Anytime is a good time to have a plate of maggi mee goreng!






No comments: